Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Countercultural- a culture with values and morals that run counter to those of established society. Merriam- Webster Dictionary

The sun is starting to shine, spring is on its way, and it's time to get active!  We have gym memberships to renew, sports registrations, and three months to get bathing suit ready.  Are you with me?

Within the past few weeks spring sports has started up for my children, practices and games here we come!  I love watching my daughter dart down the soccer field and my son hit a line drive into outfield, but this year I have felt God opening my eyes to some stands that I need to take as a parent.

While living in Houston, we attended a sermon series at Second Baptist Church by Dr. Ed Young.  He entitled the series "Countercultural" and it was based on the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew chapters 5-7.  Here, Jesus was teaching the crowds with words that seemed to contradict how the world lives.  Love when others hate, give not take, and also giving up your rights to serve others, these are just a few examples.  It is a powerful and convicting message and I challenge you to read those passages.

Lately, the phrase countercultural has been resurfacing in my life and floating around in my head.  At church, in discussions, and in my devotionals.  What does this have to do with being active and attending our kids sports you ask?

We are called to live for Christ and "...train our children in the way he should go..." Proverbs 22:6 teaching them to love God, keeping His commandments, "...Impress them on your children..." Deuteronomy 6:4-9, and that is countercultural to how the world works.  Some of the obvious ones are easy to tackle.  Do we love others? Check.  Show mercy?  Check, check.  But what about the un-obvious?

I was convicted that to live for God he needs to be first in ALL things, and that even includes kids sports, which is very countercultural today.  We live in a society that is all about what team you are on, who won the big game, who we cheer for, who runs faster, throws better, scores the most points, and who got their name mentioned after the big play.  They may say thanks to God in their acceptance speech, but that is about as close as it gets.

I felt it important to email my son's baseball coach the other day to kindly let him know that my son was  involved in Wednesday night youth activities at church and would not be at practice on those nights.  On one hand I thought, he could just miss a month or two of services, it won't hurt him.  But on the other hand, he loves Wednesday night youth and those are the times where he is really growing those bonds with other kids his age, and learning that worshipping God isn't just about sitting in a pew and listening to the preacher on Sunday morning.  After weighing the options, it was a no- brainer.  Is that frowned upon?  Yes.  Our culture puts sports, fitness, practice, etc. before God and to do differently is countercultural.

In my devotional yesterday, I read a passage that confirmed my conviction. In 1Timothy 4:7-10 God tells us that "...physical training is of some value, but godliness has a value for all things..."

My son is an excellent ball player, and loves the sport, but if I only focus on the physical training, what kind of man will he become?  Also, chances are, he will not go into pro ball, I say that only because he has said he wants other things.  If he spends his childhood on the field missing church, what has he gained?  You may need to ask yourself, "If sports were taken out of mine or my child's life, would I feel the same way about myself?"

I feel strongly that God gave us our children to train them up in the ways that God  has shown so that one day they will be godly young men and women, knowing who they are in God's eyes.  Our children need to be well rounded, they need family, friends, education, physical activity, nutrition, love, and above all a relationship with Christ Jesus.

This is something that God has laid upon my heart and in return I challenge you to live every moment of your life countercultural.  Go, get active, spiritually and physically!!

1 Timothy 4:7 - 10  "Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.  This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.  That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."  NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment